Total time logged so far: 23 hours, 38 minutes
I guess EdMo is still going fairly well for me, though I’d hoped to be already past the halfway point, especially as I probably won’t be able to do much catchup this coming weekend, as I’m going to the Wizard World Toronto Comic Con Convention! But still, I’ll figure out some way I’m sure.
Being able to go back and forth between several different projects helps to keep my energy levels up for editing, I’ve noticed. Over the past seven days, I have:
- Finished reading ‘The Chosen’ Novel manuscript.
- Put together my overall critique comments ‘The Chosen’ to accompany the inline notes I made as I was reading.
- Also wrote some overall thoughts for a fanfic that I finished reading through in February, “A Kiss to build a dream on.”
- Completed a short story critique for critters, and read through another critters entry making notes as I went.
- Spell-checked and proofread 6 chapters of my Nanowrimo 2010 manuscript, ‘The Angel’s Charlie’.
- Made a few more tweaks and revisions to ‘The Landing’ in preparation to submit it for Odyssey.
- Went through a critique of ‘The Long Way Home,’ made most of the minor changes, and started thinking about the issues raised that would take more serious reworking.
The thought of making more serious changes to ‘Long Way Home’ is somewhat daunting – this critique has brought up several items that I think could really make the book better, including:
- Revising certain scenes to make sure that the characters all have unique voices and the dialog flows with style.
- Changing the way I handle some of the flashbacks – the reader thought that the way I was always going into flashback when my MC was knocked out or went to sleep was confusing.
- Raising the dramatic stakes by torturing my main characters a little and having them go through more hardships, because the current storyline actually has a lot of breaks going their way from the start.
I do want to tackle some of this before March is over, so maybe I should be careful to not spend all of my time on the more minor revisions and critiquing other people’s work.
I know that there are a few of you crusaders out there editing – any updates from your part of the world?