October 3, 2012
I didn’t do much in terms of coming up with any goals for October Monday or yesterday – for one thing, I wanted to give myself a break after an eleventh-hour drive to finish most of my September projects! I did keep up with some good time-slice stuff, including editing ‘Children’ for style and grace, (Holly Lisle’s revision lesson 18,) and doing some cleaning in my bedroom.
But I’ve been brainstorming for the to-do list this evening, and the list is even longer than usual, which is not necessarily a good idea. But partly inspired by the Goals versus Expectations philosophy, a lot of these are very small, almost baby-steps goals, that I know I can achieve if I put the time in…
- Finish lesson 18 for HTRYN
- Start lesson 19
- Read GMC
- Come up with idea for Nano novel
- Start working with ‘Drawing on the right side of the brain’
- Spend 10 hours cleaning/tidying
- Read and critique novel RFDR for critters workshop
- Spend 3 hours organizing files on the desktop tower
- Finish polishing ‘Husk Funeral’ and post to fanfiction.net
- Start writing a new short story
- Spend 2 hours cleaning up formatting and updating existing fanfiction.net files
- Read 4 short stories
- Finish adding features to iPhone version of project tracker
- Start iPhone version of song rater
- Keep up with ML duties
So, am I crazy? Which of these goals, if any, do you want to hear more about as I strive to succeed?
September 21, 2012
Well, now that I’ve finished my Block Revision, I’ve got a bit more time to look at some of the other goals that I set myself for this month. I don’t think I’m in too bad shape, but I’ve got enough to keep me busy until October. 😉
- Start lesson 18 of ‘How to Revise your Novel.’ I’ve sortuv done this already, in that I’ve read the lesson. It’s all about fairly low-level editing; voice and style and grace and elegance (that’s actually a bad one!) and how to place commas correctly so your reader doesn’t want to kill himself or you. I’ll need to organize what I had left from Block Revision before I start in earnest, but that’s cool.
- Read 3 short stories – I’m already at 2, both courtesy of the F&SF free magazine subscription on my Kindle; one was an issue that I thought I missed when June switched to July, before I figured out the way to access back issues.
- Submit two critiques for critters. Done! One was sample chapters for a longer book that you could critique for extra credits, and I liked the opening, so I’ve requested the full manuscript. Hopefully I can critique that before November.
- Exercise every day (at least 30 minutes) and stick to my 2500 calorie diet. Doing pretty well so far…
- Cleaning and tidying the apartment. I’m on track here too, over 5 hours tracked out of eight. If I stick to 20 minutes cleaning a day, I’ll be great, can even take one day off. And at least a lot of the cluttered receipts are dealt with.
I just realized as I was writing that that when I was going through backlog mail and flyers this evening, I didn’t remember throwing old receipts out of my wallet, which is something that I want to do before tomorrow, so that I have room to bring extra cash to the Toronto Doctor Horrible screening and auction! I’ll have to remember to do it before I go tomorrow morning
- Organizing files on the netbook computer. Also doing very well, an hour and a half spent out of my target two hours.
- Posting a new, edited story up on fanfiction.net – well, I’ve gone through my files, found a story that’s already partly edited. Need to get my butt in a higher gear on this one.
- Critique homework stories from the other CSSF workshop writers. Sent in one critique, started on another, out of six. Again, I need to work harder here.
Do you have goals that you’re working on this month? How are they coming along?
August 31, 2011
Well, August is really almost up now, so I guess it’s time to see how I did on some of the goals that I set myself 31 days ago:
- Revising “The Way Back Home” – partially complete. This was one of those projects that turned out to be completely different than I thought. That’s mostly because of Lani and the Storywonk class – I had an epiphany or two and made some progress in figuring out what the book is supposed to be, maybe, but didn’t make as much tangible and measurable progress as I’d hoped.
- Cleaning the apartment – partially complete. Tidying up the kitchen went well, but the living room table just sneered at my efforts. I’ll have to prepare much more carefully to tackle it again, hopefully before it actually begins to lurk in the middle of the room. (Yes, that’s a “Long dark tea-time of the soul” reference.)
- Rewriting “How to talk to Earthlings” – DONE!
- Submitting a story for publication – failed.
- Writing a list-based smartphone app – DONE!
- Continuing fanfic works in progress – Exceeded expectations, with 2 and a half chapters complete!
- Posting old fanfic to fanfiction.net – met quota!
- Blogosphere participation stuff – exceeded quota!
- Fan expo stuff – Done!
So – not too bad, all things considered. Didn’t achieve everything I wanted to, but I certainly kept busy.
Did you have a goals list for August? How did it work out?