August 31, 2011
Well, August is really almost up now, so I guess it’s time to see how I did on some of the goals that I set myself 31 days ago:
- Revising “The Way Back Home” – partially complete. This was one of those projects that turned out to be completely different than I thought. That’s mostly because of Lani and the Storywonk class – I had an epiphany or two and made some progress in figuring out what the book is supposed to be, maybe, but didn’t make as much tangible and measurable progress as I’d hoped.
- Cleaning the apartment – partially complete. Tidying up the kitchen went well, but the living room table just sneered at my efforts. I’ll have to prepare much more carefully to tackle it again, hopefully before it actually begins to lurk in the middle of the room. (Yes, that’s a “Long dark tea-time of the soul” reference.)
- Rewriting “How to talk to Earthlings” – DONE!
- Submitting a story for publication – failed.
- Writing a list-based smartphone app – DONE!
- Continuing fanfic works in progress – Exceeded expectations, with 2 and a half chapters complete!
- Posting old fanfic to fanfiction.net – met quota!
- Blogosphere participation stuff – exceeded quota!
- Fan expo stuff – Done!
So – not too bad, all things considered. Didn’t achieve everything I wanted to, but I certainly kept busy.
Did you have a goals list for August? How did it work out?
January 27, 2011
Is it an iPhone yet if it doesn’t have phone service?
So I went down to the Bell mobility store at the mall on Sunday and came back with a 32 gigabyte iPhone 4. There’s a lot of things I like about this little gizmo already – the touchscreen interface is pretty slick, and there’s an app specifically for moderating WordPress blogs.
But it looks like I won’t have mobile voice or data service from Bell until Tuesday next or so. This is because I wanted to move my home phone number to the iPhone, and apparently there was a holdup because Telus needed more information on the file before they’d port the number. (I don’t know what Telus has to do with my home phone at this moment, unless they work with Cogeco.)
I’m also rather planning to trade the 32 gigabyte model back in for the 16 gigabyte and save some cash, partly because I wasn’t blown away with the video player interface, and the only thing I’d really be using the extra storage for is videos. It’s still an alright video device, but trying to navigate within a particular vid with the slider is finicky, and I’ve been having recurring issues with the video player controls not coming up when I tap on the screen for them. So I think that the 16 gigabyte model is the way to go. But apparently Bell can’t do the exchange until the sim card is active with my number, so I’m waiting on that too.
Read the rest of this entry »