Hey there. Thought it was time for another update on my readings and such.
- I finished “The Prisoner of Azkaban” two weeks ago, and loved the ending! Time-turners for the win, and what a little zinger Harry gets to give Uncle Vernon right at the end! I have to admit, I let myself get pulled astray a little by a few half-understood spoilers, because until the truth was revealed I was wondering the whole time if it were possible that Professor Lupin and Sirius Black were the same person.
- As mentioned, I finished “The Light Fantastic” in one day at Fan Expo. Thatsa lot of reading in lines. Discworld is great stuff!
- Started “Tehanu” in the Earthsea series, which I’ve heard a lot of not-so-complimentary things about, and I’m really enjoying it, even though if it’s a little less epic than the other Earthsea books. Also “The Rock Rats”, by Ben Bova, sequel to “The Precipice” which I heard via audible.com – also interesting, though I’m hoping that we get some stealth suit hijinks soon and Martin Humphries gets another slap in the face somehow.
- Speaking of audible.com, I just finished listening to “The Ring of Solomon” and enjoyed that a lot too. Jonathan Stroud lived up to the previous Bartimaeus trilogy, even without being able to draw on any of the human characters from previous books. It was a little disorienting, I have to say, to be living in a historic Israel that didn’t bear much resemblance to the Bible stories except for a few names and facts in common.
- Read through all of ‘Buffy Omnibus Seven’ (the graphic novels that came before Season Eight) on the plane to and from Atlanta.
- Still working on “King Kelson’s Bride” and “The Gripping Hand.” I guess that’s it for now.
What, if anything, have you been reading lately?
PS: I just noticed something. There is a kinduv spoiley link in the Wikipedia article for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I won’t say which character, to avoid being spoiley myself, but if you click on the name of this character, who appears quite benign in the first two and a half books of the series, you end up at the article for ‘Death Eater’, and even if you haven’t managed to hear anything about the Death Eaters, the picture really makes it clear that they’re not the good guys. 😉